Established in 1976, the KSO promotes its mission of Enriching and Educating the Community through Music by:
- Offering enriching performances of orchestral music for the region’s residents and visitors.
- Providing orchestral music education for children and youth in the region, especially those who have limited access to such experiences.
- Providing a means for professional and amateur musicians in the region to play interesting and challenging music in a full orchestral setting.
- Providing opportunities for soloists and guest conductors, from the region and beyond, to perform before appreciative local audiences.
The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra is a non-profit community orchestra which provides a place for area musicians to use their talents in an orchestral setting. The orchestra consists of professional, student, and dedicated amateur musicians. It began informally in 1976 and now engages in weekly rehearsals and an annual series of concerts.
At times, its programs are enhanced by including guest conductors and soloists from the region and beyond. The orchestra’s plans and policies are established by the Music Director and a Board of Directors composed of citizens from the community.
Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra Awards
The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra (KSO) has received the following recognition from the Illinois Council of Orchestras:
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra President, Ann Tucker, was named the 2019 Board President of the Year.
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra General Manager, Amanda Nelson, was named as the only recipient of a 2013 Honorable Mention as a designation of person who has made outstanding contributions to an orchestra within Illinois.
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Associates was named the 2012 Orchestra Guild of the Year.
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra was named the 2009 Community Orchestra of the Year.
- The Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra Music Director, Linc Smelser, was named the 2009 Conductor of the Year (Small Orchestra).
Joining the Orchestra
Musicians interested in becoming members of the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra may contact Lynn Cook Hansen, Personnel Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org (or 815-761-0687).
Other Instrumental Ensembles
Lovers of instrumental ensemble music may find the following other local performing groups of interest:
DeKalb Municipal Band: www.dekalbmunicipalband.com/
Jazz in Progress: www.facebook.com/
Kishwaukee Concert Band: www.kishconcertband.org
Northern Illinois University School of Music – Concert Schedule: https://niu.edu/music
Northern Illinois University School of Music – Ensembles: www.niu.edu/music/join-us/