Arthur D. Montzka 2023 Young Artists Concerto Competition
Open to instrumentalists who are 18 years of age and younger as of December 1, 2022, and who are residents of Illinois.
The winner of the competition will perform with the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra at the Northern Illinois University Music Building’s Boutell Memorial Concert Hall, DeKalb, Illinois, on Saturday, February 18, 2023.
The winner of the competition will receive $350 for the performance.
Repertoire requirements: one or more movements of a solo concerto or an appropriate one-movement composition with orchestral accompaniment, the total performance time not to exceed twelve minutes.
The competition will be live and open to the public, in the Boutell Memorial Concert Hall in the Music Building at Northern Illinois University on Saturday, January 7, 2023, from 10:00 a.m. until about 2:00 p.m. Contestants must provide their own accompanists. Memorization of the music is not required but is strongly encouraged.
Each contestant’s application must include:
- A non-refundable $40.00 entry fee. Make check payable to the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra.
- Application form with the endorsement of a music teacher, preferably a private music teacher, familiar with the applicant’s performance ability.
- Application materials will be returned only if a self-addressed stamped envelope is included with the application.
- All applications must be postmarked no later than December 15, 2021.
- Incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- The winner of the competition will rehearse with the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra on the evening of Friday, February 17, 2023, and on selected Monday evenings prior to the February 18, 2023 7:30 p.m. concert.
- Applications should be sent to:
Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra
PO Box 310
DeKalb IL 60115
- Inquiries can be directed to: